Sunday, March 13, 2016

A DAY IN THE LIFE

TONGDOSA



Meet Dr. Kim, an electrical engineer who, after retiring, decided to get a degree in Natural Medicine and Herbology. He spent the day with us, guiding us through Tongdosa, a little city where he practices medicine, and also volunteers part time at the Tongdosa Temple as a guide. Since Alma, our Buddhist friend from English class, is his friend we were lucky enough to have a personalized custom tour.















Tongdosa is the largest of all the temples in Korea, with 65 buildings making up the complex on the mountainside. During the 15th Century, it had hundreds of buildings, and housed thousands of monks.



The pathway leading to the temple is called "Pathway in the Forest of Dancing Trees".


 Dr. Kim explains some of the architectural features of this building.
 The roof tiles, the intricate detail of the woodwork, and the bright colors of paint are exquisite.

Stopping for refreshment is always part of the day. We keep listening and learning along the way.






All along the road, we see little stacks of rocks. People put them there to "make a wish".


Wishing and "Good Luck" are important concepts in the culture, maybe because of poverty, war, and hunger so prevalent in Korean history.

 Stone markers peek out behind trees as we walk toward the temple complex.

 Tongdosa does not have any statues of the Buddha outside,because it has stupas (pagodas) that house the real relics of the Buddha. Some of these are a robe, a bone, and a bowl belonging to the Buddha.


 The stupas take all different shapes. Some also contain relics of other monks.





Tongdosa was founded by the monk, Jajang, in 646 AD, after he returned from China with some relics of the Buddha.


 The bridge called "Three Stars and a Moon"
 

 The main gate to enter the temple complex.



I love the detail on the roof. Notice the dragons with the red ball in their mouths.




5 comments:

  1. Cute picture of you two! So fun that you had another cool outing. Looks quite cold though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 7th century Tongdosa looks amazing! All the details on the temples are beautiful,and the Buddha relic pagodas are so intresting! Wonderful to have your own private tour and guide-what a great day...maybe somewhat freezing! Hopefully the refreshments along the way warmed you up. You are great explorers and taking advantage of all that Korea has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weekend exploration trips of Korea are so fun! I love all of the new friends you are both making and how happy you both look. Looking like Utah Spring weather. Brrrr....stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weekend exploration trips of Korea are so fun! I love all of the new friends you are both making and how happy you both look. Looking like Utah Spring weather. Brrrr....stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing that you get to see all of these sights? I love that you get to stop and have tea/refreshment every day. It is a tradition that we need to be carrying. Was it interesting to talk to Dr. Kim? I would be fascinated. I think I could talk to him for hours. The details on the roof are amazing. I was thinking that same thing when I saw the picture, and then I read your comment! So beautiful. I can't believe the temple has been around for so long. It's so cool to think of how old some of those things are! I'm going to be hoping for warmer weather for you guys!

    ReplyDelete