Monday, June 27, 2016

Chungnyeolsa























URBAN SUNSET

After work on Friday, we witnessed a magnificent sight as we strolled down the path by the river.


At first, I didn't like seeing the power lines, cement pillars, and other signs of civilization.




Later I decided that the colors of the sky behind the black silhouettes were stunning, and even a freeway sign or a post can be beautiful. 



CHUNGNYEOLSA

The Chungnyeolsa Shrine is dedicated to the Korean fighters who died resisting Japanese invaders in the years between 1592 and 1598.






There are six figures on this monument - a civilian, administrator, soldier, signal officer, bugler, and woman - representing the resolute unity of the Korean people in defending their nation.









Uijunji Pond

This serene pond full of lily pads and koi fish is said to hold the spirits of the martyred ancestors. As someone walks by, they are to contemplate the significance of protecting their homeland. 







Interesting landscape and unusual trees - perfectly manicured




 There are thirteen buildings in all on the grounds - lecture hall, monument to women, education hall, and a museum, among others. Inside the museum we were thrilled to see many important documents from the 1500's and 1600's. We couldn't believe they were originals, but they are!





 This helmet and armor coat were made in the 1700's. Again, we asked if they were facsimile, or originals. "Originals"!






Military uniform and war hat of the Governor of Dongnae

 

 A poem painted on cloth








 Main Hall







I like the contrast of the old Korean architecture and the new.









 If you walk up the mountain behind this building, there is a fortress wall and a watch tower.


 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These two men are about 25, and one works at one of the banks that Bryan visits frequently. He asked if he could "Meet outside the bank" sometime. We arranged a meeting place, "Casa Bonita" (you guessed it - Mexican actually Korean restaurant). We ordered four sparkling Martinelli's and they brought it in  bottles but accompanied by cups full of ice! This was the first time I had seen ice since arriving here last October.


We thought it was a little mysterious, and of course we were curious about the purpose of the meeting. It turns out, they just wanted to talk about America and be our friends (can you believe it?) They don't realize, I'm sure how uncool they are being, going with two sixty year olds to Casa Bonita in the middle of the day. Anyway, they were nice, and we invited them to dinner at our house in a couple of weeks.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following are a few more pictures of our mountain hike - view from the top!








--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week, it rained really hard for a couple of days. The road to the river, where we usually walk and run, was blocked off and completely flooded. The next day was just a little cloudy, so we went for another walk. This bicycle had the misfortune of being parked right in the middle of the flood, so that when the water receded, the front of the bicycle was a mass of sticks, leaves, mud, grasses, trash, and debris of all kinds. 

Can't you just hear the Korean mother saying, "I told you not to leave your bike down by the river!"















2 comments:

  1. You two are just TOO COOL! I bet everyone you meet would love to visit with you and speak American!
    Your outing to Chungnyeolsa is wonderful. The shrine and buildings and grounds are beautiful and very peaceful for contemplation of their country. Korea makes our mere 400 years of history pale in comparison.
    I am going to have to step up my training to keep up with you valiant hikers on your return! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures of the sunset are breathtaking. And I agree, the black silhouettes against the sunset are striking.

    I'm so thrilled that they put a woman on their war monument. Woo hoo!

    And I can't believe those costumes are originals! It's so fun to see what they wore in the 1700's. I bet those helmets were heavy.

    I agree, you are both in terrific shape to do all of that hiking. I wish I could be there with you. It's so fun to see the beautiful pictures and all of the different flora and fauna.

    The Korean characters are so beautiful. Such an art form. Can you both understand a lot of what is written in those poems?

    And that bike!! It has seen better days I'm sure. I can totally hear the Korean mother's scoldings. Hopefully the owner got it all cleaned up. Poor bike owner!

    Stay dry!!

    ReplyDelete