Tuesday, July 19, 2016

HAPPENINGS

CONGRATULATIONS Mija!

Yesterday was the first baptism in the Oncheon Ward in at least three years! Everyone was so happy.  Our Mission President has not seen a baptism in his ward since he arrived two years ago, so this was an exciting event. 


Mija was baptized by Elder Affleck, and she was taught by Elder Affleck and Elder Oh Euichan.


After the baptism, the ward had a huge meal together, and everyone enjoyed the celebration.








HEROES

The two couples pictured below are some of MY HEROES! The top photo shows President Kenneth S. Barrow and his wife, Diane K. Barrow, originally from Texas. He served a mission in Seoul about 35 years ago, when there was no central heating in the houses, and no indoor plumbing. He opened up several new areas and taught a lot of people. Now he is called to serve as Mission President in Busan. He loves all the missionaries as if they were his own children.


He is really one of the most selfless people I know. He is extremely smart, hard working, ambitious, highly motivated, energetic, and yet very spiritual, gentle, and kind. One of his best traits that I admire is his ability to take his time and attention and focus on the needs of "the one". In the midst of hundreds of crises, he will take the time to talk with someone who is troubled or who needs his encouragement. He is always cheerful, always positive, he doesn't sleep much, he runs marathons, and he wins 100 mile bike races...all the while not calling attention to himself and remaining extremely humble.


Quick review: Married couples don't have the same last name. The last name always goes first, but don't put a comma after the last name. The last name is one syllable, and the first name is always two or more. Most people have a middle name too.
This man is our Stake President, President Cho, and his wife is Sister Kim. Besides running the Stake, he has a full time job, and ten children. One of the children is handicapped, needing extra time and care. The other children are consumed with mostly school and academics, music lessons, church activities, and scouting. Every time I see her with her handicapped son, I have so much love and admiration for her. Of course, she is always the one bringing food for the special dinners, and helping to clean the church and do the dishes. Amazing!

BBQ CHICKEN AND CHEESY POTATOES



Our 25 year old friends came for dinner the other night. They asked for American food, so we corrupted them with Au Gratin Potatoes and cheesecake for dessert. The BBQ chicken and asparagus were comparable to their normal fare, but...no Kimchi!!

BUSAN TOWER

and Yongdusan Park

On one of the most famous mountains in Busan is a 69 meter tower. We took the elevator all the way up and experienced some beautiful views of the city.



Tall buildings come right to the edge of the port. Many beautiful bridges span different waterways.



Another mountain in the distance, many tall apartment buildings, and one large rounded building in the middle of this scene is an upscale department store. Koreans love to hike the mountains. Hundreds of people in their hiking clothes carry hiking sticks and head toward the hills on weekends.


This view shows Yeongdo Bridge, which connects the mainland to an island. Every day at 2:15 pm, one part of the bridge lifts for ten minutes. Large vessels and ships are allowed through during that time. I am told that if you are stuck in traffic around 2:15,  it is probably because of the Yeongdo Bridge!

Jagalchi Fish Market

The building that looks like it has a seagull on the top is the Jagalchi Fish Market, the largest fish market in Korea. It has about ten floors and every few feet there is someone selling: 15 different kinds of eel, whale blubber, sea squirts, sea urchins, squid, or another creature from the ocean. 


Bryan by the Buddhist Temple at the top of the mountain



The tower, the temple, and a monument to celebrate Korea's independence




A soccer stadium in the middle of the picture is surrounded by many tall apartment and office buildings with hills in the background. It looks small from here, but also in the center of this area is a huge traditional Korean Market where the streets are partly covered, and mobbed with people buying, selling, yelling, walking, eating, talking, bargaining:

GUKJE MARKET






Bryan is sporting his new fedora. His desire was to spend about as 
little time as possible in this market.


KOREAN CULTURE TIME!

As you know, when a baby is born in Korea, it is one year old. Then on New Year's Day, the baby turns one year older. Everyone, in fact, turns a year older on New Year's Day, January 1. Since I was born December 29, I would have been four days old when I was "two"! When a baby is 100 days old, there is a huge celebration. The baby is dressed in traditional Korean clothing (hanbok), and strapped into a chair somehow. Lots of decorations and food surround the child. In the past, when Koreans struggled for enough food to stay alive, it was considered a lucky milestone to be 100 days old, and most probable that the baby would continue to live and grow.

The baby isn't crawling yet, but is able to grab objects. The baby is placed on the floor, where he can grab - and within his reach there are several objects: a string, a pencil, and some money. Adults watch intently as the baby unknowingly foretells his future. If the baby grabs the string, he will have longevity. If he grabs the pencil, he will be a scholar. If he grabs the money, he will be rich.



LILY PADS AND FROGS

Many years ago, Carson (oldest grandchild) made the observation that lots of books, pictures, and cartoons had frogs sitting on lily pads. However, he had noticed that no one ever actually sees a frog sitting on a lily pad. I had to agree that I had never seen a frog sitting on a lily pad, but had seen a lot of pictures in books. I became determined to see one, and was pretty sure I could see one at the Norton Simon Museum in Pasadena, California, or maybe the Huntington Library and Gardens in nearby San Marino. I visited both places and...no luck with the frog.

The other day I was running (slow jog) down the path by our nearby river, and stopped to look at the beautiful water lilies in several of the ponds. I started thinking about the frog. I looked down and saw nothing, then sharpened my eyes and saw four perfectly camouflaged frogs sitting right next to the edge of the pond on lily pads! I was so excited, but I had no camera. After watching them for a while, I went home determined to get a picture some time during the next week. I went over several times to go "frog hunting" and again, no success. I think conditions have to be just right! Now I take a camera every time I go down to the river, and the other day I saw this amazing sight!

1. I see a frog swimming along in the pond. I watch him and take a video.

2. The frog stops and puts his front foot on the lily pad. It looks like he's going to climb up!


3. The next thing I knew, he was sitting on a lily pad!! Hooray! I took about twenty pictures, but you get the main idea.




Dedicated to Carson









































2 comments:

  1. Happiest Celebration Baptism! Congratulations to all. What a blessing for your missionaries and mission!
    What a city-every new perspective just widens our appreciation for such a great city and culture!
    Love the frogs on the lily pad! Go Carson!
    What a great group you work with-fabulous people-you fit right in!
    We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baptism is such a highlight for everyone in the mission. Wow-3 years. She is beautiful and the Elders are beaming. Grateful for these special moments of conversion.

    Leah & Matthew loved finding the soccer field in the center of the city. The frog on the lily pad was a tender mercy for you & reminded us of Leo Lionni books!!

    We love your fun blog. Always filled with adventures and uplifting pictures and stories. Thanks for sharing! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete