A DEVOTED MISSIONARY
After receiving a letter from an elderly (yes...older than I) friend this week, I wanted to share her story. She went to church a few weeks ago and was surprised to see a returned missionary whom she knew on the stand ready to speak. She thought he was back from his mission a bit too early. Before he spoke, the Bishop introduced the Elder. This missionary and his brother are both legally blind. No one expected them to go on missions, but they had a strong desire. As the Elder was out in the Mission Field, his eyesight was weakening. He told his Mission President that he wanted to complete the full two year mission. He wanted to serve and to sacrifice. He loved his mission. He had so much gratitude that he was able to go. After 22 months, his sight was declining so badly that he had to go home. He was very disappointed, but thankful he was able to go for the time he had.
"Can I even imagine how difficult it would be to go to a foreign country, learn a different language, get around in a new place, and not be able to see?" I was inspired by this 19-year-old's willingness to do something very difficult. I was inspired by his motivation, his selflessness,and his tenacity. His love for Jesus Christ and for others exceeded his desire for personal comfort or ease.
I am so thankful for this story and the strength it gives me every day to do better, to try harder, and to be more faithful. I am humbled.
A TRICKY DAY
FYI this day turned out to be one of Bryan's least favorite. You'll see why...
I have mentioned before that there are a lot of weird sculptures around Busan, so here is Bryan next to "Teddy".

Is this an "Alice in Wonderland" joke?

Levitating
Poor Bryan!
You guessed it! We are inside the "Trick Eye Museum"!
Scroll through quickly...
Now on to the Water Room:
There was a lot more to see, and even more pictures to be taken. At this point, Bryan said, "I really don't like going around and taking lots of pictures of ourselves." I had to agree.
ENGLISH CLASS
Some of our Saturday night English class - the woman on the left is the mother of the boy next to her in the striped shirt. He is 15 and he comes with his mother on Saturday nights. Pretty nice of him. It's great when the Elders come for a visit - in case we need translation beyond my capabilities.
In English classes, Koreans often give themselves an English name. L to R: Sunny, Georges, Connor, Won, Tommie, and another Sunny.
THE QUEEN'S BANQUET
Wednesday night, we were treated to dinner and a play by Connor and his wife. We had a great time. We went out to Chinese dinner, then walked to the Haeundae Grand Hotel.
This area by the beach is filled with modern architecture.
The play was "The Queen's Banquet"; it included music, dancing, singing, and amazing costumes and portrayed the life of a Queen during the Joseon Dynasty (1392 - 1910).
The Queen is dressed by three or four servants. The outfit she is wearing for special occasions only, had sixteen layers!!
The finale shows traditional Korean musical instruments and dance.


























lol i'm dying!! I can absolutely see dad rolling his eyes and shaking his head at posing in yet another trick eye picture. They are pretty amazing though! And what an awesome date night to the show! so fun and fancy! Could you understand any of it??
ReplyDeleteAh yes!! They had English captions explaining it on the side of the stage - haha!
ReplyDeleteOur family had a great laugh during FHE last night going through those fun pics. And what a story about the missionary returning with the bad eyesight. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteVERY BEST LAUGH we all have had in a long time! We kinda want to fly over so you an take us all to this fun museum. Great stories about selfless serving. Sure love your examples to everyone!!
ReplyDeleteEvery missionary sacrifices a lot-this missionary gave so much! A great story.
ReplyDeleteI love the TRICK EYE museum! LOL So fun. The pictures of you two are fabulous! We will take every single picture you can take-never enough, Bryan!
Love the story about the blind missionary. I am such a wimp!!!
ReplyDelete