Sunday, August 28, 2016

August 28, 2016





MUSIC

This old pump organ was on display in a greenhouse! I loved it. Every culture enjoys music, and we have enjoyed hearing traditional Korean folk songs and traditional Korean instruments being played.

"I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music."

George Eliot (British novelist, aka Mary Ann Evans)

TREES

What can compare with the beauty, the shade, the life of a tree? The fragrance of pine, vanilla, coconut; the green in contrast to ocean, sky, snow, or mountain - so majestic.


TAEJONGDAE

One island to the south of Busan is connected to the mainland by Yeongdodaegyo Bridge. It opens up part way every day at 2:15 pm for fifteen minutes. Large ships can then pass through to the other side of the harbor. Tourists love to see the spectacle, but locals do not like the traffic congestion caused by it. At the southern tip of the island is a National Park called Taejongdae, named so because it is said that King Taejong practiced archery standing on the cliffs and shooting arrows out into the ocean.




The pine forest edges right up to steep rock cliffs. The distance to the ocean below is farther than it seems.


Notice the size of the people below on the rocks.


Now we are down on the rocks looking up.







This large chasm is hidden from most vantage points. There is no easy way to get down there!

Statue of a mother holding two of her children


"The Statue of Mother and Children was erected in 1976. It helps remind those who are about to commit suicide by jumping from Taejongdae's cliffs, of their mother's unconditional love for them, and will hopefully encourage them not to give up on life."

With a lump in our throats we walked over to the lighthouse and "sculpture" of the red and blue rings with an "arrow" going through them - seen frequently on posters advertising Busan and tourism. My interpretation was logical - the sharp instrument piercing the circles was the arrow of King Taejong! Wrong! The blue part-circle represents the sky and the ocean. The red part-circle represents the sun and camellia. The sharp object represents light. 









Of course we had to go all the way up to the top of the lighthouse's spiraling  narrow stairs with the already humid day getting hotter as we ascended.




From the top of the lighthouse, we could see below us the "Clam Tents" we had read about. With the colorful tarps providing shade, ajummas and halmonies (grandmas/old women) dig about in the mud to find clams. When found, they are put in a bucket or basket and sold as quickly as possible to maintain freshness.



ODDITIES
Dating couples in Korea like to wear "twin" outfits. They are easy to spot with colors and patterns carefully chosen... Sometimes I ask if I can take a photo, but at the risk of being turned down, I secretly snapped this one. In some places there are signs saying, "Do not take a picture of someone without asking their permission". I'm guessing the sign is to protect the elderly ladies who really do not like their picture taken. I can relate.

Also, in case you're ever in South Korea and wondering...the twin fashion ensembles are definitely dating couples - not married. Once married, wearing twin outfits is OVER!





ODDITY #2

So you want to move apartments. Do you think someone is going to carry all your furniture and belongings down the small sized elevator? No! These trucks with giant ladders get the boxes, couches, and televisions from the 13th floor and they are lowered down to ground level where a moving crew load them into a truck.




ODDITY #3
Why are so many trees supported with bamboo poles? Answer: the ground is often so wet and mushy, and the wind can be so strong that trees are ripped right out of the ground and fall over.



ODDITY #4

"What is this?" you ask, when this dish is brought to the table. It looks like some kind of fish covered with orange caviar. "Iced Kimchi" is the answer. The cabbage is white, fermented and pickled, and covered with small ice granules and red chili paste.


And..."What is this?"... No one knew.



ODDITY #5

Someone lives here. I have nothing more to say.



On our way back home from Taejeondae, I saw something interesting. "Bryan, what is that stainless steel bowl I saw sitting in the ocean?" 


We decided to find out! Yesterday we visited the Korea National Maritime Museum.




The architecture was brilliant!











Inside the museum was a fascinating exhibit on early world exploration - not only Vasco Da Gama, Ferdinand Magellan, and Christopher Columbus; but explorers from the Far East, such as the most famous Chinese explorer, Zheng He. There were globes and maps from the 1700's, ship's logs and journals, and models - small and large.



The ship below was half life-size:

Saws used for cutting the boards










Straw Boat - for racing competitions



A Great Excursion




Hello Missionaries! 

How we love them...
Who else do you know that:
Studies the scriptures a minimum 2 hours a day?
Studies Korean a minimum one hour a day for their whole mission? 
(Koreans study gospel vocabulary and English one hour a day)
Is nice to everyone?
Loves old people and little kids?
Asks, "What can I do to help you?" about five times a day
Would rather have someone to teach and talk to than a new pair of shoes?
Owns twelve white shirts  - all of them yellowish-gray?
Is nineteen to twenty-one, does all his/her own shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, and ironing?
Always smiles?
Looks for service projects to do every week?

We feel so fortunate to know them, 
We love each one.


자애
New word for the week: charity





5 comments:

  1. Korea is amazing, spectacular, beautiful and awesome (and hard!)You adventures are wonderful-so much to see and do, and hike and climb and explore! You two do it all!
    Happy adventures and outings! You are FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K I think the converyor belt for moving people in high rises is GENIUS. I wish we would have had that when we were moving in/out of SF!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this a while ago but never responded. The couples wearing matching outfits is so hilarious to me. Adam totally wants to try it, but I said nope, were married. Sorry. And Ruby agrees with you about the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weekend excursions are so fantastic! I'm amazed at the numerous cultural activities-museums, etc. you have done while in Korea. Your photos are so beautiful too. Keep them coming! The matching outfit boyfriend/girlfriend pics look like a Target ad. I love your interaction with the missionaries. Always happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a visual and knowledge treat to read your blog! I wept listening to the oboe rendering, laughed, and marveled at your insights and details of all you witness. Thanks for such a broadening experience in reading your blog. Love, Dee

    ReplyDelete